Sunday, January 25, 2009

Jim Bennitt, Tantric Hatha Yoga Teacher



It is Sunday afternoon and I am enjoying the effects of my weekend adventure with Jim Bennitt, a tantric hatha yoga teacher. I learned so much from him this weekend and I would like to share some of my learning. Every yoga workshop is inspirational for me and I always learn something new. Usually after a workshop I have learned a new asana that I wish to practice more often or incorporate more often into my own practice. This weekend, however, I left with an overwhelming amount of stillness in both my mind and body, and a deep sense of intrinsic wonderment. Jim taught about the importance of using pranayama to create more energy inside the body and how to use both pranayama and bandha techniques to bring the unconscious mind to the conscious mind. All of this may sound crazy to someone who has never tried this, but I was deeply affected by this practice. I found myself with very vivid, colorful, and meaningful thoughts at the end of my practice and with a great sense of calm and stillness that I continue to feel even now.
As Jim began the workshop he discussed how a yoga practice should not leave the yogi feeling exhausted, restless, and unable to enjoy life to the fullest afterwards. He explained how he use to practice a rigorous asana practice for 3 hours every morning and that by noon he felt the need for a nap or some coffee. He has since learned that the practice of yoga should create in the body more energy by learning how to use and keep prana in the body. This is where using the bandhas and the 'valves' comes in in order to keep the prana.
I also learned many other interesting verbal ques from Jim. I loved how he describe the exhalation as a drawing of the navel in as well as the pelvic floor lifting and the inhalation as the heart expanding three dimensionally. I loved how he described viewing the mind as a still lake at night with the reflection of the moon on the water...and much much more.
Overall, I am just drenched in all the yoga he brought to Midtown. I am so grateful for him and for Midtown Yoga.
Namaste, y'all

No comments: