Sunday, April 5, 2009

Where's your heart?


My three year old daughter, Cheyenne, gives me such joy and abundant love. Recently, she has a favorite bear that she loves to sleep with. It is a soft little bear, just her size. The other night she was having a bit of trouble falling asleep. Our rooms are very close to each other so she can talk to me when I am in bed and she is in bed. My children have so many fancy toys that usually have some kind of gadget that makes them talk. She was in bed holding the small teddy and she said, "Mommy, this bear doesn't talk". I told her, while in my own room, "If you hold the little bear really, really tight next to your heart and you are very, very quiet you'll hear your bear say, 'I love you Cheyenne.'" Cheyenne replied, "oh, ok." A few minutes went by and Cheyenne called out to me again, "Mommy, where is your heart?" I had to get up out of my bed and go into her room and show her where her heart is. She gave her teddy a big squeeze and the next thing I knew she was fast asleep. Since that night, every bedtime she cries out to me from her room, "mommy where's your heart?" I told my husband, Brad, about this story and he said with a smile, " I noticed that Cheyenne was squeezing that little bear tightly by her heart when I gave her a kiss goodnight." I couldn't help but be moved with a deep sense of buttery love in my heart.
I wanted to share this story because I believe God uses these moments in my life to teach me about what really matters in this life. My prayer is that my heart remains buttery soft and that I can cry out to my heavenly father in times of fear, "God where is my heart?" And when I am very quiet and reach out in my heart for God's love to cling to my heart, I can rest in Him.
Namaste!

No comments: